Thursday, March 26, 2009

A few more areas

I filled in above the Overlapping Cross Pattern with another row of the Alternating V stitch worked in the Treasure Braid. Above that is another row of Braided Knitting worked in the white Watercolours. Moving to the right, I started the last section. First I started the Laid Filling Plaid Pattern by laying in the pearl Kreinik in vertical rows. Two horizontal rows of Kreinik 210 were added next, alternating with two horizontal rows of the overdyed Pearl 8. Tomorrow night I will add more vertical rows that will add the plaid look.

Jane asked "How much does the canvas color you see under the open stitching add to the piece, Pat? Would a white and gold version on pink or lavender (or Victorian Red) canvas look a lot different?"
A lot of the canvas does show through increasing the white values in the piece. My opinion is that a white and gold version would look nice on pink, lavender, red, or navy blue. The design elements would work. I can also picture changing the colors of the fibers and doing pinks on pink, or, grays and silvers on black, etc. I think the possibilities would be endless. The original design was done in purples and then this white and gold combination. I also think many of the stitches utilized in this piece would be appropriate in a lot of other canvas designs, or, extracted into smaller designs for ornaments or box tops. Hope that helps!

2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

It does, thank you. It is always hard to judge by photos how things really look, much less how another variation might look. Of course that color switching stuff is half the fun on counted thread pieces.

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Interesting as I had been thinking about the same thing, doing it with a different color than white, not that I need a new project right now (grinning)so for now will just admire yours.

Pierrette =^..^=