Monday, May 11, 2009

The Diamond Iris

This is the outline of The Diamond Iris by Dorothy Lescher. This design was created to teach the Burden Stitch, padding and a few other stitches. This is an offering by the Cyberpointers chapter that we will be stitching over the next several months, during the online meetings. My instructions for this meeting start with tracing the pattern. I used my Pigma pens in lavender and green to trace mine.


Next I laid in four rows of #16 Kreinik braid, anchoring the starting thread with the "L" stitch. You notice the thread is still attached at the bottom left of the photo for creating future laid rows. Then, using four strands of floss, I filled in the lightest of five shades of purple at the very tip of the first petal. I followed this by starting the next value, but have not completed it. I am following the suggested layout of color changes in the pattern. The bottom little "L" stitches that I used to start both of these threads, and they will be covered by future rows of stitching. The anchoring stitches will be worked under the design area stitches due to the pattern that will be created immediately around the outside of the design. Parking threads in this area now would leave enlarged holes in the canvas that would distort the future pattern design.

2 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Wow, Pat, you will be busy with 3 projects going at the same time (grinning).

I am glad that you decided to start working on the Iris. It is such a lovely project. I wish I could too but unfortunately it will have to wait till later, so in the meantime will be living vicariously through you :-)

Pierrette =^..^=

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Interesting how you decided which project to work by working all of them! LOL

This looks very interesting. Dorothy Lesher does lovely designs but this will be the first time I've been able to look over the shoulder of the stitcher of one of her pieces. I'm looking forward to it!