Saturday, July 18, 2009

Introducing.....Photo added!


Since the camera is finished it is time to add another piece into the rotation stitching. I have a niece that loves sheep. When I saw this piece I knew she would love it. This piece was on the cover of Needlepoint Plus, July August 1991 and is called Otto. Otto was stitched by Susan Portra. It is a painted canvas by Doris Gustafson and the original art was done by Beth Van Hoesen. You all know Susan Portra as the author and designer of Bring Your Backgrounds to Life. The article in the magazine gives information and details about stitching backgrounds for the hand painted canvas we all love to do. She also included her stitching instructions the completed piece that is featured on the front cover of this issue. I will be following the stitch guide (for the most part, :), you know me--I may change something ) that is written in the article. As always, I will tell you what the fibers are (or if I changed something) along with the stitches. I have him on the frame and the threads are ready to go. If you have the magazine, please feel free to follow along. Thanks to Susan Portra for her permission to follow this guide.



Thanks to Jane in Chilly Hollow for also telling me that he is also called Suffolk Sheep and he was painted in 1982. He had the number 84 on the ear, and you can see the art here:
http://www.nancydoddsgallery.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=26&Itemid=30&limitstart=40

2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I can't wait to see how Otto turns out. The design in the magazine is amazing.

Cyn said...

Hi Pat,

He's going to be fun! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow