Friday, December 30, 2011

Progress on Fascination

 I did the center of Motif #4 which is identical to the one in number 1 and then I started the diagonal over one background.  Here is where I ran out of the Kreinik #4....which is on order
 Here is a picture of all four motifs.....now an 8 x 8 design on the Congress cloth
So I moved on to Lesson 5 and started in the top left corner.  We are doing a Milanese stitch using two strands of Needle Necessities and two strands of the Marlitt in alternating rows. This will be worked on all four corners to "square the design"".   Again to make sure that I get the sheen and can control both fibers, I am using my laying tool.  As I finish each stitch of the Marlitt, I hold it down with the tip of the BLT-best laying tool-while I bring the needle up in the next stitch.  Some people dampen the Marlitt to control it....sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

Nancy asked about the project name and identification.....if you look below my notes you will see that I label each post with the designer name,Loretta Spears, and the name of the project in this case, both Fascination and Mystery #10.  Hope that helps
 

5 comments:

Nancy L said...

Thank you for the clue about your labels. I read the blogs in Google Reader, and the labels aren't included. Now I will know to head over to your actual blog if I forget the name/designer of your project.

Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore said...

It's so beautiful. I am just starting Kimono Revisited with John Waddell but afterwards I now plan to stitch a Loretta Spears design.

Thank you for inspiring me.

Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy New Year, may it bring you gifts of joy, health and happiness and lots of stitching time for you.

NCPat said...

Nancy, you are welcome! And, thanks and Happy New Year to you..let me know which Loretta you are doing...would love to see it!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

It's interesting to watch this develop as when I saw a finished version, it looked very much like a spot sampler to me. The motifs didn't seem to be organized. Now that I watch you work this, the star block pattern is obvious. It is true that we see what we expect!

barbi said...

I'm enjoying your progress on this piece. It just occurred to me that while Loretta Spears may have designed this--it is also exactly like ==almost down to the stitch ==Samarkand Tiles by Anna Pearson of England. I have that one and just pulled it out. Many of her designs and books are from the late 80's.