Tuesday, September 13, 2011

All the patches

All the patches are completed.  I finished the #7 patch with the rose color.  I have also started the lining on the right side with a very pale blue Soie D Alger and another patterned diagonal stitch. 

I will be traveling for the next while and will post if I get a chance to stitch......enjoy the cooler weather, the sunshine, fall apples and all.  Be back as quick as I can.  DH said he promises not to stitch while I am away.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Moving right along

First, I finished the tail in the Knotted stitch, and then started on the wing.  I am using six strands of Splendor 1005 and doing a Byzantine stitch so it is diagonal to the body and following the direction drawn on the paint.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

More patches

I completed all of the medium blue gray patches and went back to patch 7 and am working it in the dusty rose.  It was supposed to be worked in a bright peach and I did not care for the mix in the coat, so I switched it.  Of course I did.  I rarely work a piece without changing at least one color.  Anyway, this looks way darker in the photo than it does it real time.  I took it outside again as I thought that would show the true color but that did not work right either.  It is more muted than this makes it look

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bernadette Framed

Here she is!  She is first surrounded by a black glittered mat with the orange on top of that one.  Her very dark purple frame highlights all the purple in her "witchly" coutured outfit.

Friday, September 9, 2011

The fun stuff

I started his body with six strands of Splendor 820 and am doing the Knotted stitch.  The tail will also be worked in the 820 as well, but his wing is going to be a different color as it is painted a darker shade.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Out of sequence

I skipped Patch 7 and moved onto # 8 and finished all four of them.  They are the medium blue violet Soie D Alger.  They consist of a long vertical stitch and couched back over them at  2 canvas thread intersections creating am S pattern and leaving the blank canvas showing as part of the pattern.  I also started Patch #9 which are done in a medium gray blue in a fan type stitch and completed the one area closest to the trees on the right.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

More snow

I added the perch Cool Cardinal is sitting on by laying in 4 strands of Splendor and then coming back over the top of each row of three strands with upright Gobelin stitches. I then started the French knots for the snow on his head--thanks to Jane for this idea!  I was trying to decide what stitch I wanted for the snow and she suggested the French knots.....so I used a single strand of Kreinik 100 and double wrapped the needle and he is covered with the stuff!.  I moved on and did the beak and black in four more strands of Splendor in the painted colors.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Patches #6

All five of Patch #6 are done....they look kind of peach colored in the photo but are a mauve to pale lavender.  The T stitch is done with two strands of Soie D Alger color 3322.  Beth:  the bird will be stitched, but not for a while yet!  :)

Monday, September 5, 2011


I finsihed all of the snowflakes today using Snow by Caron and I did a modified rice stitch in each square.  Pretty chilly here today with highs only in the sixties so working on snow almost seemed appropriate! 

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Patches #5

 All of the #5 Patches are done and there are seven in all.  The two strands of Soie D Alger in two different patterns blends well with the previosly stitched ones.  Now, I have also started patch #6 worked in a lilac shade (although the photo looks orangey) using two strands in a T stitch.

Friday, September 2, 2011

I did it!

I finished all the background!  And.....I worked on snowflakes too!  The top eight rows are done!  DH says I should do the beak just so I don't have just snowflakes done.....LOL

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Patches #5

I worked on Patch #5 of which there are 7 patches. I completed four and have started number5 down on the right side.  This patch is all done in two strands of Soie D'alger.  The first pass creates the "bump" on the diagonal.  The second is the reversed diagonal Tent stitch.  Even though the thread is all the same color, the tent recedes dramatically due to the reversing of the stitch.